Thursday, March 25, 2010


waiting their turn...

Here is a detail, you can see the lovely airiness of the center and the ichy bluchyness of the perimeter.

I knew they were too dense when I applied the gold leaf but I tried to pretend they would work.

I so know better.

Here is a little stack of the new batch of lacy ones. They have also been coated with clay bole which is why they have that beautiful reddish color.


ARRGGG.....I stitched a bunch together and was at about 5 foot diameter but I don't like it.

I have experimented with a number of different methods for the clay bole and gesso. Some have resulted in a denser patty, whereas others are more lacy.

I had already started stitching the lacy ones together, so I added the denser ones to the outside and it is all wrong. It feels to heavy on the perimeter, the airiness of the center is overwhelmed.

I may try laying the whole thing out again with the denser patties at the center and the lacier ones on the outside.

I may also decide the dense ones suck and throw them all away.

I have started several new batches using less layers of a gesso base that is also mixed a little thinner (higher ratio of rabbit skin glue to calcium carbonate). This will give me the lacy effect I want, however I sacrifice a tiny bit of stability in the ground. But I have decided that is a risk I am willing to take for an airier feel.

I am also rethinking the circular format. I liked it when it was smaller. I felt it referenced the drain, but it really falls apart at this size.

I think I will stick with a more traditional rectangular textile format.

This test run has also confirmed what I already knew but didn't want to accept. It must be much bigger. Which means it will take me much longer to complete.

I have always felt it needed to be at least 6'X 8', but I keep hoping it will work smaller.

Clearly it is not gonna.